Episode 85: Temptation ~ Gratification ~ Regret ~ Repeat
In this episode, I’m going to show you how the neural pathways that you’ve created over the years are the reason you keep repeating bad behaviors.
And of course, I’m going to show you how to correct the problem.
The million-dollar question is: “Why do I keep doing that even thou I know it’s bad for me?”
The answer: It’s your brain’s fault!
It has to do with neural pathways that get created as we do things. When we do something right, a pathway is created. Unfortunately, a pathway is also created when we something wrong. So the reason we keep making the same mistakes is that we slip by default back into existing neural pathways.
Here’s how the process starts and ends:
Temptation + Gratification + Regret + Repeat = Insanity
Temptation: the desire to do something, especially something wrong or unwise.
Gratification: pleasure, especially when gained from the satisfaction of a desire
Regret: feel sad, repentant, or disappointed over (something that has happened or been done, especially a loss or missed opportunity).
Repeat: do (something) again, either once or a number of times.
Insanity: Albert Einstein famously said, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.”
Click HERE to LISTEN to Episode 85
Click HERE to WATCH Episode 85
Power Action Steps:
1. Identify the pattern ~ The only way to correct a pattern is to identify it. I know this sounds simple, but as humans, we do not like to focus on our flaws, so you’re going to have to get brutally honest with yourself.
2. Identify the hole ~ What hole are you trying to fill with the repetitive bad behavior? It could be emotional, physical, psychological, or even a combination of all two or more.
3. Visualize the new outcome ~ Actually, close your eyes and see yourself making a better, more productive decision when the temptation arises. Tap into how you will feel at that moment. Remember that emotion so you can use it when it’s game time.
4. Be vulnerable with yourself ~ It’s ok, hell it’s necessary to tap into your feelings for this exercise to have its maximum value. Don’t beat yourself up because of your past behavior. Embrace it and then make the power move with a declaration that you deserve better for yourself.
5. Take off your mask ~ this process is going to require brutal honesty. You are going to see things as they are and not from the lease of the story you’ve created as a coping mechanism. This will be challenging, but it will also be a game-changing moment in your journey. See yourself, expect yourself, and love yourself for who you are and who you will become.
6. Celebrate your success ~ share your new awareness with your circle of success. Let them embrace the win with you. This will anchor the new behavior and help you cement the new neural pathway into your subconscious brain.
Join the FREE ~ Wellness Lab Launch Pad🚀 ~ on Facebook if you’d like to connect with me and receive more tips, strategies, and information about living your best life.
Thanks for listening to the Thrive Forever Fit Show!
Health and Happiness,
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new tab. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.